After learning I’d finally gotten a date, a concerned friend advised me to go get some mace. I laughed. I would probably end up spraying myself in the process of defending myself.
Needless to say, her point was well-meaning and taken: be safe.
In the interest of keeping everyone safe, here are some of my tips:
- Get a Google Voice number. It’s free and you can delete it if someone starts harassing you via text or phone. This isn’t for the date so much as just a great place to start
- Tell someone where you’re going, as much as you know about who you are going with, and when you plan on being back.
- Meet your date in a public place (I used to go to a coffee shop where I knew everyone)
- Don’t tell them where you work or give too much identifying information until you’re ready (I usually go tit-for-tat, meaning they give me some info and I give them some)
- Don’t leave drinks unattended to.
- After the date is over, don’t go home immediately (go to a coffee shop or the mall or the grocery store, basically make sure they don’t follow you home)
Things went really well on the date, and you’re starting to hear bow-chicka-bow-wow? Here’s a great video with tips on staying safe while taking it to the next level.